You’ve heard “home is where the heart is,” countless times. But over the past year home has become where our office is, our school is, our house of worship is, and maybe even our movie theater. According to Home Advisor’s State of the Home Spending Report, 85% of people are spending more time in their home and 41% of respondents invested in home improvements last year to make their home better suited for their lifestyle.
When you’re not leaving the house as much, you’re more likely to notice wear and tear. Things that were minor irritations, like the paint color left behind by the previous owner, are now glaring at you seven days a week. More time at home also means more scuffs and scratches on your existing furnishings. Maybe your home is feeling less like a sanctuary and more like a source of frustration. What if one simple update could make a space you’re tired of a space you never want to leave?
A fresh coat of paint may be just the fresh start you and your home need this year.
Given it’s likely your primary gathering space, your living room is an ideal place to start when updating your look.
The next step is finding the shade that suits your mood and your style. Feeling overwhelmed by the thousands of color choices? Let us give you some inspiration!
Here are some of our top paint picks for one of the most important rooms in your home.
- Let’s kick off our list with our favorite interior color, Agreeable Gray. A soft, neutral shade (hence the, “agreeable”), this gray doesn’t lean blue or pink like some others.
If gray equals “drab” or “boring” in your mind, think again. This hue gives you the perfect backdrop to highlight vibrant art, patterned throw pillows, or maybe a bold couch. And if you decide to change out your furnishings, the timeless shade makes it easy to update your look without repainting. Finally, gray walls also tend to make rooms feel more open and spacious.
- It’s become rather trendy in the design world to choose a “Color of the Year” that influences fashion and decor. While still neutral, Sherwin Williams’ 2021 Color of the Year, Urbane Bronze makes a bold statement with a deeper gray, inspired by nature. This unexpected hue creates a dramatic canvas for sleek and modern furniture, in contrasting whites with brass accents. It can also be paired with other earth tones and lighter grays for a more subtle look. Urbane Bronze will also show off the architectural details in your home and provides a nice contrast to lighter flooring.
- While gray has gotten plenty of attention as “the neutral of the moment” in recent years, beige has been a go-to paint color for both builders and homeowners for far longer. And there’s a reason for this. A timeless classic with amazing versatility, beige can be anything but basic. There’s a full range of options that skew either cool or warm with a host of shades in between.
We’d like to suggest Sherwin Williams’ Balanced Beige. Now admittedly there are a lot of opinions among design experts as to whether it is a true beige, greige, or taupe. But debates aside, this neutral with hints of gray will add warmth to your room while still complimenting a range of flooring and furnishings.
Another popular choice is this family is Benjamin Moore’s Stone Hearth.
- Not only does Benjamin Moore offer a “color of the year” but they also suggest a coordinating color palette, this time anchored by nautical Aegean Teal. Named as humanity’s favorite color, across genders, cultures, and ages, blue has universal appeal.
Incredibly inviting and versatile, Aegean Teal provides a gorgeous backdrop for just about any design style and looks especially crisp with white decorative molding. Blues also tend to complement a variety of wood floorings.
- Memphis’s own Farrell-Calhoun recommends a more muted blue as their favorite paint color for homes in 2021. Simple Serenity conjures up thoughts of a dreamy summer sky. As the name suggests, a living room in this color becomes a calming sanctuary from the stresses of the outside world.
- Another option that conveys tranquility is pale-peach hued Flan, by Sherwin Williams. This balmy color will soften any room and complement a variety of styles from coastal to feminine floral. Light apricot and blush paints can function as neutrals and pair beautifully with both warm and cool accent colors.
- Gray skies? No problem. Sherwin Williams’ Venetian Yellow, brings the sunshine inside, regardless of the forecast. When everyday feels like the movie Groundhog Day, a buttery, happy color might be just what’s needed to lift your mood. With a full spectrum of yellows from pale chiffon to bold buttercup, there are countless paint choices to brighten your room, and your day.
- Feeling adventurous? Rich jewel tones can seem like a daring move when it comes to paint, but maybe after this year you’re ready to make a statement. Deep emerald greens like Sherwin Williams Greenbelt or Argyle can add instant sophistication to your living room and elevate your design. Associated with spring, green also symbolizes renewal.
Additional Considerations When Choosing a Paint Color
While these colors are great starting points when choosing a paint color, be sure to look at a few shades in either direction for lighter, deeper, or brighter options that might be a better fit in your space.
Beyond the mood and style you want to evoke in your home, there are practical considerations you’ll need to take into account when finding the right shade. Room size, ceiling height, adjoining rooms, and existing flooring all play a part in finding the perfect palette. Add to that the impact of natural light and shadows depending on the sun exposure your room receives and even neutral colors can look completely different depending on what direction the room is facing.
Let Us Help You Pick the Perfect Paint (And Put it On!)
If choosing a paint color feels overwhelming, an experienced residential painter like Riggins Painting can make sure you get it right the first time. Or maybe you’ve found a color you love and are ready to call in the experts to get the job done. We’ve been trusted by hundreds of Memphis-area homeowners, like you, to create beautiful spaces you’ll never want to leave. Contact us for a free estimate.
Looking for a painting pro?
If you have a painting project that needs a special touch feel free to reach out to us!
Our team of professional painting craftsmen helps people just like you turn dreams into reality every week. We look forward to speaking with you about your project soon!